Why do I do this work?
Chinese Medicine, through herbs, acupuncture, and shiatsu, has been transformative for me in my own life. I have learned that every choice I make influences the quality of my health.
Our culture seems to have forgotten the interconnectedness of health and well-being. I am constantly looking to relearn this holistic knowledge.
I have moved through my own journeys of illness, back pain, heartbreak, fatigue, trauma, and more, all with the assistance of acupuncture, herbs, and shiatsu. Having experienced these profound, simple and beautiful treatments myself, I feel called to share the gifts of deep healing with others, so that we can all access our truest places of strength. From this place of strength, we can heal not only ourselves, but also our communities and the world around us.
I do this work because I believe in a holistic approach to health, one that empowers each of us to take ownership in our own well-being. I am a practitioner and lifelong student of Chinese Medicine because of the rich cultural perspective it brings to understanding health and wellness.
“Every time I go into the darkness, I return with fistfuls of jewels.”
~ Barbara McAfee, singer/songwriter
How Did I Get Here?
My journey into the healing arts started in 2002, as I was backpacking through New Zealand, when curiosity lead me to my first Reiki training. I had been teaching ecology as a field naturalist in New England and was trying to figure out where to go next. I ended up at the Boston School of Shiatsu where I started my path into Chinese Medicine. I didn’t quite know what I was stumbling into, and I feel blessed to have fallen head over heels in love with the way Chinese Medicine understands health and well-being.
Now, I have over a decade of experience as a shiatsu and reiki practioner, with over 1,500 treatments given. I continued my training with a Masters in Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Studies from the Academy for Five Element Acupuncture in Gainesville, FL. Five years later, with over 3,000 hours of study and 700 hours of clinical supervision, I returned home to Iowa City where I have been offering acupuncture, Chinese herbs, and Asian bodywork therapies since 2015.
My roots drink deep in returning to my home in the the midwest, to the big open skies and rolling hills of Iowa.
You can continue scrolling down for the nitty-gritty details of my training and certifications, or if you have questions, you can contact me here.
Would you like to sign up for the Living in Sync with the Seasons newsletter? It is full of resources, tips, and nuggets of wisdom that I’ve been collecting for the past couple decades that I would love to share with you.
Education, Certifications, & Licensure
Acupuncture & Chinese Herbs
- Licensed Acupuncturist, Iowa Medical Board, 2015
- Masters of Acupuncture 2014, Academy for Five Element Acupuncture, Gainesville, FL
- Certificate in Chinese Herbal Medicine 2014, Academy for Five Element Acupuncture, Gainesville, FL 2014
- Diplomate of Oriental Medicine, National Certification Commission of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, 2015
Shiatsu & Asian Bodywork Therapies
- Licensed Massage Therapist, Iowa Board of Professional Licensure, 2016
- Advanced Shiatsu Training 2005, Charles River School of Shiatsu, Cambridge, MA
- Certificate of Shiatsu and Asian Bodywork Therapies 2004, Boston School of Shiatsu, Cambridge, MA
- Reiki I & II, Aukland, NZ, Cambridge, MA 2002
- Diplomate of Asian Bodywork Therapy, National Certification Commission of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, 2005-2013
Blessings in wellness,